NYGenerations

Monday, August 12, 2013

Bounce, Rock, Skate - The Disco Rollerskating Era!

I really do feel sorry for this younger generation that is in their teens and 20's.  Just go to any club or bar where they are hanging out and all you see is them doing is standing around and texting one another.  It's pretty amazing.  Now it's not that I haven't observed us "older" folks in bars or clubs, whipping out our cell phones and tapping away.  It's just different with us older folks.  We don't "live" on our phones.  We sort of tap it, fill in some information and then move onto the next social interaction that we were involved with.

When I think back to my teen years and the way my generation interacted with one another at pizza shops, soda shops, dance clubs and of course - Roller Skating  rinks.  Yes it was great to be a teenager in the mid to late '70's and early '80's and have a bunch of friends that joined you at a roller rink.  We were part of the disco rollerskating generation.  You could find roller rinks in cities and suburbs alike.  My generation interacted with one another through dance moves on the skating floor and social clicks at the tables.  Heck - even standing in line was part of our learning how to socialize, attract and interact.

How can this young generation learn any of those skills?  How can they learn how to actually talk, dance or simply interact with one another?  They are too addicted to their smartphones/mobile devices and actually call a group electronic chat "socializing".  For those who know me present day, it is hard for them to imagine that I was actually a very shy kid.  I didn't like standing up in front of a crowd and talking.  I was always cool talking among my circle of friends, but I wasn't that way around strangers.  Getting involved in athletics and going out to the dance clubs or roller rinks forced me to extend my friendliness out towards people, outside of my comfort circle of friends.

Personally, I think roller rinks should be brought back simply as a national mental health emergency.  Force these kids to spend less time on their phones and more time interacting with one another, exercising and learning some cool dance moves at the same time.  My most favorite song of the rollerskate era had to be the "Bounce, Skate, Roll, Rock" by Vaughan Mason and Crew.

Here are two links:  link #1 and link # 2 that you can view and get an idea of what that era was like.  It would be nice to see today's younger generation getting out there and interacting with one another in a more dynamic way.  My advice to young people today...bring back the roller rinks and disco rollerskating.  Fellas, learn how to talk to a young lady with some manners and in English, not abbreviations.  Oh and your pants have to be worn up to your waist in order to rollerskate.  As for the young ladies...learn how to dress and look sexy without having to come all out of your clothes and rolling your pants down at the waist. Style and form and function will never get overrated in a roller rink.

Rollerskate dancing..it's crazy, it's fun and it's still very, very cool.  Now let's all just bounce...rock...skate...roll...

No comments:

Post a Comment