NYGenerations

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Corn Beef And Hash

I spent the past week vacationing in Florida.  We were actually able to spent time on the east, central and west coast.  The Floridian restaurant food was awesome at all locations.  One thing that I did notice was that the corn beef hash, a simple breakfast food here in NY, was prepared slightly different from one place to another.

Growing up my mother would make a simple plate of corned beef, scrambled eggs and some hash browns on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  Even when I went to a friends house or many NY restaurants, the presentation of a corn beef hash order was ever so slightly different, but pretty much looked like the same basic meal that I had as a kid.

But not in Florida.  Their corn beef meals varied as drastically as my Google image search on the topic.  I know not everyone may even like a simple breakfast like corned beef and hash.  But, for those of us who do, you have to admit that when you wake up hungry in the morning and need a quick hot meal to hit the bottom of your stomach - this one sure does the trick.  Add on some southern style grits...and now you're really hitting the someone in the gut.

Oh yes, I did mention grits.  If you don't know, or you don't like, just drive south of the border in the US...and you'll soon find out just how much Southerners love them!  Grits were a staple in my home for many years.

Does anyone have a home made recipe for corned beef hash that they would like to share with the rest of us?  I never cataloged any of my mother's recipes for it.  If any one does have, please feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment