NYGenerations

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Searching For My Roots...

In recent months, I've been commenting on my ancestry in small and large conversations.  The more I've been talking, the more I've been wondering about my family's roots.  Many stories have been handed down via hearsay, and old tales.  However, there hasn't been much factual information like pictures or solid names and events to associate my family to beyond my mother's parents.  My father's family background is a whole other story.

With this new age of information, all you have to do is get a name and some sparse information and see what happens.  Well I did just that.  I spoke to my mother recently and took the information she gave me to start some searches.  Eventually I ended up on two family history search sites.  That eventually lead me to find relatives that span from the state of Georgia all the way to Cleveland, Ohio.

I called my mother and was able to confirm some of those findings in confirmations with my mother.  I then searched local phone directories out of state and called at least three phone numbers.  I also located two others and reached out to them on Facebook.  So far...no one has called back or friended me on Facebook.  It's a little disappointing, but to be fair from their side of the equation...how can you inquire with a complete stranger...even if they claim to be a relative and know a few names in your family tree?

I will update as this progresses...if it progresses at all?  It's Labor Day Weekend...I hope everyone tries to bear in mind the 100 year plus history of Labor Day here in America.  It was a day off given to Americans by Congress, after overworked laborers protested during the Industrial Revolution.  People lost their lives standing up for fair wages and even days off.  The social battle between labor and management led to our government finally getting involved after lives had been lost during some conflicts.

As a settlement, overworked Americans who had worked endless hours were given ONE extra day off for the year...pretty laughable when you think about it.  Happy Labor Day weekend!  Cheers to my once missing and now found family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment